how i clean makeup brushes

Monday, June 10, 2013
To me, cleaning makeup brushes is one of the most important things about makeup.
I honestly think, what's the point in using makeup which can sometimes be extremely expensive with brushes contaminated and encouraging bacteria to grow?

Before we get started, I'd just like to say that this is by no means the professional way to clean brushes, but it's worked for me over the past few months and has caused no harm whatsoever to my brushes.



Above I have a selection of brushes from my set to show you how to clean different brushes.
I generally go with the rule; a large blob for face brushes, and a smaller blob for detailing, eye and lip brushes.

I'd recommend washing your brushes once a week, but I only ever get around to doing them myself every 2 weeks. I always notice such a huge difference in how my makeup looks and every time it always looks so much better.
In terms of the meaning 'blob', I mean blobs of baby shampoo. I use this due to it being sensitive and it is not as harsh as regular shampoo.




So, take the recommended blob size of shampoo onto the palm of your hand and work the shampoo into the brush. This is when you realize how unclean your brushes actually are!

Once you've done this, rinse with warm (but not hot) water 2-3 times to ensure all of the baby shampoo has been rinsed. You really should not use hot water as this can damage and distort the brush as it can tamper with the glue which holds the bristles, meaning you'll have a large hole in the brush.


Now, finally to drying the brushes.
I would definitely not recommend bending or reshaping the brush once it is wet. This could leave the brush ending up with huge gaps or a different shape, meaning it's performance is not as good as it should be.

Water should not dry in the area where the brushes are stuck together as it distorts and dismantles the glue.
To avoid this, a little trick that I've learnt is to fold a towel over in half and place the brushes with the head facing downwards. This will make sure that the excess water is running down and into the towel, not the area where they're stuck together.

You should ideally leave these a whole day to dry and if you really wanted, you could turn them over every few hours but it's not really necessary. 

I hope you found this useful! If you'd like to see any more "how to's", comment below and I'll see what I can do for you! :) 



7 comments :

  1. Hi Elsie :) thanks for following my blog (: I love yours, it's very cute. I usually use the no more tears shampoo but is this one cheaper? If so I'm gonna switch to this one ASAP! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I think this is £1.37 for 500ml :) X

      Delete
  2. I know that most people use baby shampoo, but I don't. I just decided to use normal shampoo. I never even thought about the whole 'sensitive' aspect of it... I'll definitely try and use baby shampoo from now on, especially because I have sensitive skin x

    Lilie
    mintcandylilies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah definitely! I've never used anything other than it because it works perfectly :) X

      Delete
  3. I do this too! I find that I do wash them once a week but only because I love the smell of baby shampoo haha!

    www.gvadlln.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I agree - they end up smelling so good :) X

      Delete
  4. Nice post! Thanks for sharing such a nice post.
    toothbrush style cleaning brush

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love reading your comments and always try to reply.
I do not do follow for follow - if you like my blog, feel free to follow. If i like your blog, i'll follow. Simple as that!

You're welcome to leave links to your blog but any spam comments will be deleted.